Wednesday, August 31, 2011

cleanliness is next to godliness

A month ago or so I moved out of my parents house and into my own little studio apartment in downtown Reykjavík. It's so much nicer than my old room, which was painted half black, half white and had holes in the floor. Also the white parts of the walls had been drawn all over by drunk people. Myself included.
I had made a deal with myself that I wouldn't let my new apartment get as messy as my old room and I think I'm doing a pretty good job except I'm not the cleanliest of girls, so it's still kinda messy.

Yeah, I'm kind of a slob, but sometimes I sweep the floors(the visible parts anyway), wash a few dishes and fold my clothes and put them away, and call myself a housewife.
The only thing I'm obsessed with keeping clean is the cat litter box.

I share a hallway with my landlady, and I'm constantly afraid that my apartment smells really bad and the smell oozes into the hall, especially if it's the smell of cat pee.
I'm scared she'll smell ammonia and think I'm cooking meth in here or something.

I'm also scared all the time that she'll knock on the door to ask for my rent or something and notice a dirty sock on the floor or week old noodles in the sink or that I haven't made my bed, and think I'm really disgusting and get mad 'cause I'm not a good housewife and and and... I don't know...

And then my cats keep dragging sand everywhere and peeing in the shower(seriously) and knocking their food and water bowls over and once they knocked a lamp over and the light bulb broke, it was in the middle of the night but I got up and cleaned it because I was so scared that the land lady would come in, at 4am on a Wednesday!
Like, when I've just cleaned and everything's all nice and shiny I'd want her to come over, it would just be so typical if she did right after my cats had a fit and broke everything!

I never had these worries when I lived with my parents, I really should make myself clean more often!


3 comments:

  1. Could always come over to my place and clean...but the thing is you feel a little better when every thing is clean around you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a strange dictonary if cleanliness is next to godliness

    ReplyDelete